Whether you are a high school or college senior entering your final semester or year, landing a full-time job can feel pretty daunting and intimidating. We have created a senior year checklist that’ll put you in a great spot to land a position that will help you grow personally and professionally. Take our advice — the better you prepare, the more likely it is that you’ll find a meaningful first job after graduation; and the more meaningful the job is, the happier you will be!
Senior Year Checklist:
- Update your resume
- Ask your current or past employers if they would be references for you
- Create a cover letter
- Update your LinkedIn profile
- Update your social media platforms with what you would want employers to see
- Mock interview with your family, friends and teachers
- Visit your career services office if your school offers one
- Join a young professionals group
- Apply to jobs as soon as the September before you graduate
- Send thank you cards and emails to those you interview with
- Research companies and industries you would like to be a part of
- Don’t make applying your full-time job — remember to focus on school too!
- Make sure you have everything lined up to graduate on time
- Look for jobs on social media platforms and search engines
- Connect with an alumni mentor
- Take some time off from applying so you can enjoy your senior year as well
- Travel if you can
- Do informational interviews with companies you are interested in applying to
We wish you the best as you enter the exciting year ahead, and encourage you to bookmark or print this senior year checklist as a helpful reference.
See something you think should be added to this senior year checklist? Comment below.