Driver Instructor II - RoadHome daily | Indianapolis, IN
Coach and mentor truck driver candidates during the in-truck phase (road and range) of the Entry Level Driver Training Program as a Road Driver Instructor. Enjoy daily home time as you work locally out of the Indianapolis facility and prepare new drivers for a rewarding career with Schneider.
Indianapolis Road Driver Instructor job overview
- Demonstrate and teach driving skills and techniques in accordance with Schneider Training Academy guidelines and training materials.
- Train driver candidates until they reach prescribed levels of proficiency in all in-truck and at-truck activities identified in the Entry Level Driver Training Program curriculum.
- Conduct mutual expectation exchanges with driver candidates and provide driver candidates with verbal and written performance feedback along with suggestions for improvement.
- Provide Training Academy leaders with status updates on driver candidates who are not progressing to prescribed levels of proficiency within established timelines.
- Incorporate every available training resource (peer instructors, Driver Training leaders, Safety Training Managers, etc.) to help driver candidates overcome performance shortfalls.
- Maintain a work area (truck, trailer, yard and office desk) that is clean, serviceable and reflects the professional standards of the Training Academy.
- Successfully complete the annual instructor recertification process.
- Haul freight as needed.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and timeliness, including for team meetings.
- Exhibit professional behavior in alignment with Schneider core values, high standards and dress code.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned, and the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
- *Based on CDL driver experience, performance and location
Indianapolis Road Driver Instructor qualifications
- Valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and DOT physical card.
- Minimum 12 months of Class A driving experience and six months of verifiable instructor/training experience or minimum five years of recent Class A driving experience.
- Live within 60 miles of Indianapolis, IN.
- Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements with minimal logging or Hours of Service violations.
- Ability to identify, analyze and correct unsafe or aggressive driving habits.
- Demonstrate a positive, professional attitude and the ability and willingness to accept change.
- Strong leadership qualities.
Additional Driver Instructor job benefits
- Annual profit-sharing bonuses available.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, plus flexible spending options and company-paid life insurance.
- 401(k) savings plan with company match plus a company-paid retirement plan.
- Unlimited referral bonus potential.
- Credit for Military Experience and Military Apprenticeship programs, plus more military benefits.
- Leading equipment and technology specs designed for driver comfort.
- Many more — see full driver benefit package.
More reasons to choose Schneider in Indianapolis
- Resilient, values-based culture that drives safety first and always, integrity in every action, respect for all and excellence in all we do.
- Individual development opportunities through company-paid training, active leadership involvement and more than 170 online personal development courses.
- Position based out of Schneider’s Indianapolis Facility.
- Learn more about Schneider’s culture for Driver Instructors.
Want even more information?
The best option is to apply, and we can customize our advice to your situation, but if you want to dig deep:
- Experienced or inexperienced driver insights – expectations at your career stage.
- Schneider company overview – what makes Schneider one of the top trucking companies.
- Slice of Orange blog – answers to top driver career questions.
Schneider uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired associates. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.