Director of Safety and Compliance
- San Antonio, TX
- First shift
- Job ID:
- Full time; Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
As a Director of Safety and Compliance, you will work directly for Midwest Logistics Systems (MLS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Schneider, MLS is operated separately from Schneider with its own operating procedures, qualification requirements, training program, pay packages and benefits.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Lead the MLS Safety, Compliance, & Training Program. Management of all onboarding/orientation, periodic, and remedial training and safety initiatives. This includes:
- Updating & Development of MLS training requirements for CDL drivers & management.
- Supervision of safety managers, regional managers, terminal managers, and drivers, to ensure completion of all training and related records.
- Management of all training & safety programs, including dash camera & video coaching systems, online driver training lessons (e.g., ProTREAD), and electronic logging device (ELD) oversight.
- Formal and informal safety meetings & discussions with drivers and management
- Manage accurate and prompt recordkeeping, organization & auditing of driver compliance & records:
- DOT & FMCSR requirements, including Driver Qualification (DQ) files to ensure all required licenses, certificates, and documents are on file and current/updated.
- Other driver records and compilations, (training records, sign-in sheets, etc.) in various formats, including paper, electronic, and records/data accessible via internet or portals
- Resolving questions of driver compliance issues, both under DOT/FMCSA & MLS requirements.
- Hiring, disciplinary, and remedial decision-maker relating to all safety-related issues and events, including accidents, citations, warnings, observed infractions or unsafe driving, training deficiency, etc.
- Work with legal counsel (in house & outside) and HR in litigation and document collection
- Interact daily with drivers, managers, dispatchers, & other personnel to accomplish above duties
- Other duties customary in a trucking safety & compliance position, and additional duties assigned by executive management from time to time
Qualifications and Skills required:
- Exceptional interpersonal communication, conflict resolution, and relationship-building skills
- High proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and other Windows applications
- Detail-oriented and organized approach in all duties performed
- Minimum 6-10 years verifiable experience having substantial involvement with DOT/FMCSR requirements for Class A CDL drivers (tractor-trailers) in the trucking industry.
- Comprehensive understanding of DOT/FMCSR Class A CDL driver requirements (Driver Qualification, DOT drug & alcohol testing programs, DOT medical certifications, etc.);
- General knowledge of other DOT laws and the FMCSRs.
- General understanding of other federal and state employment & labor laws/regulations (including FMLA, FLSA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, etc.);
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
Our history has taught us that treating everyone with dignity and respect is vital to our ongoing success. We embrace and seek out diversity that is inclusive of thought, race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, experience and background. We find that this diversity and openness ensures that all our associates have equal access to opportunities and resources to contribute fully to the organization’s success, and it fuels innovation, improves strategic thinking and cultivates leadership.