Staying active while out on the road can be difficult and take a little creativity, but it is definitely doable.
Previous Schneider Intermodal truck driver, Dan, used to complete his truck driver workout inside an empty trailer. If his trailer had freight in it, he would modify the workout so he could perform it outside, in a gym or within the cab of his truck.
In the below video, Dan explains and demonstrates exercises he used to perform inside and outside his empty trailer that you too can incorporate into your daily workout routine.
Some of the exercises involve basic workout equipment, while other require no extra equipment at all. All of the exercises can be modified to your ability and skill levels.
We recommend consulting a physician before beginning a new truck driver workout routine.
Ideas for your truck driver workout video:
Ideas for your truck driver workout list (pulled from the video):
Stretching exercises without equipment (2:33 in the video):
- Thigh stretch – Grab on foot and pull back and up.
- Stationary lunges.
- Chest stretch – Stretch arms up and out.
- Abdominal stretch – Stretch arms up.
- Bend down to touch knees or toes.
Cardio exercises with equipment (4:47 in the video):
- Kettlebell swings – Squat and pick up kettlebell with one hand, swing it straight forward, alternate hands.
- Kettlebell swings with snatches – Squat and pick up kettlebell with one hand, swing it forward and pull it toward shoulder.
Cardio exercises without equipment (8:47 in the video):
- Jumping jacks.
- Knee raises/steam engine – Similar to running in place but lift knees up high.
- Mountain climbers – Start in a push-up position, bring one knee forward and alternate.
- Run in place.
- Push-ups – Wide, shoulder or narrow hand placement. Knees down or up. Feet crossed or uncrossed.
Leg exercises with or without equipment (14:53 in the video):
- Walking lunges – With or without kettlebell.
- Squats – With or without kettlebell or medicine ball.
Shoulder exercises with equipment (18:09 in the video):
- Kettlebell press – Hold one kettlebell in each hand in a press position and press up.
- Kettlebell swing and press – Squat and pick up kettlebell with one hand, swing it straight forward and press up. Alternate hands.
Chest exercises with equipment (19:28 in the video):
- Fly – Using TRX straps, extend arms in front of shoulders with palms facing one another, open arms to a T position and squeeze chest to bring hands together.
- Chest press – Using TRX straps, press down and up, similar to doing a push-up.