As part of Schneider’s safety initiatives, the company encourages drivers who work at ports to apply for a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card.
What is a TWIC card?
The TWIC program is a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and U.S. Coast Guard initiative that positively identifies drivers and allows them access to secure areas of port facilities.
Do truck drivers need a TWIC card?
It really boils down to what and where you plan to haul, but if you plan to work in the ports, it’s wise to get one. Schneider has some Tanker, Intermodal and Dedicated opportunities that require it, depending on location and load type. Regardless, a TWIC Card can be beneficial to many drivers, as it opens up more freight opportunities, creating more options for better loads.
Eligibility for a TWIC card
Drivers are eligible to apply for a TWIC card if they are a:
- U.S. citizen
- lawful permanent resident
- naturalized citizen or a nonimmigrant alien
- asylee or refugee who is in lawful status
Requirements for a TWIC card:
- providing information such as fingerprints
- sitting for a digital photograph
- successfully passing a security threat assessment conducted by the TSA. The security threat assessment considers convictions, arrests, warrants
andindictments for certain offenses and other background information.
How to get a TWIC card:
- Complete the application online or in person at an application center.
- Schedule an appointment online or call (855) 347-8371 weekdays,
- Visit a TWIC application center to:
- Provide required documentation
- Get fingerprinted (drivers who have already been fingerprinted for their hazmat endorsement, may use the same prints)
- Take a facial photo
- Present your current U.S. passport, driver’s license, birth certificate or other acceptable documents
- Pay a non-refundable fee valid for five years with a credit card, money order, company check or certified/cashier’s check
- Receive your TWIC card in the mail or pick it up at the application center. You can check the status of your application online. How long does it take to get a TWIC Card? The TSA attempts to provide all applicants a response within 30-45 days.
TWIC card cost
A TWIC card is around $100 and drivers are responsible for paying for all costs associated with obtaining a TWIC card. Schneider does reimburse drivers in select work arrangements for getting a TWIC Card.
Looking to raise the bar even higher for your driving career?
Check out Schneider's wide range of driving opportunities and discover what it truly means to live Safety First and Always.
Are you prepared to apply for your TWIC card? Comment below if you have any questions about how to get a TWIC card.