Truck driver pay
What you need to know about truck driver pay
Experienced drivers know it’s important to fully understand every aspect of their pay package. However, this can get confusing when you consider all the components that can affect your overall pay as a truck driver. Use this page as your starting point for understanding Schneider’s driver pay or visit our job search to research specific pay for specific jobs in your area.
How much do truck drivers make?
Truck driver pay potential varies by each type of driving job, and all our job postings include both averages and the highest earning potential. Here’s the top earning potential for each type of driving job:
How are truck drivers paid?
Truck driver pay can be broken up many different ways and depends on the type of truck driving job you choose. The following are the most common elements in Schneider’s truck driver pay packages:
Base pay methods.
- Line 3/Driving – This is represented as a cents per mile or an hourly rate.
- Line 4/On Duty – This is represented as an hourly rate for time spent while on duty, not driving.
- Shipment/Load Pay – This is applicable to some positions and is provided to drivers for each load hauled as a set rate.
Performance pay and bonuses.
- Weekly performance pay.
- Annual bonuses.
- Longevity bonuses.
- Sign-on bonuses.
- Referral bonuses – Unlimited referral potential. Up to $1,500 per driver you refer to Schneider.
The most overlooked compensation considerations.
- Benefits package – Medical/dental/vision, 401(k) with match.
- Growth opportunities.
- Company perks – Tuition reimbursement, group discounts and facility network with free parking, laundry, showers, exercise rooms and more.
Schneider’s truck driver pay highlights
- An elite overall compensation package – We review our pay, benefits and other perks weekly to ensure our pay package is highly competitive.
- Job-specific pay plus performance pay – We have literally hundreds of different driver pay packages — not to confuse you, but so we pay every driver for the unique work they do, plus performance pay to reward those who do it well.
- Weekly Guarantee Pay - New drivers may earn a guaranteed amount of pay per week.
- Rewarding experience and longevity – First year truck driver pay is different than experienced driver pay. That’s because the longer you’ve been driving, the more you can earn. Plus, long-time Schneider drivers enjoy rewards from our driver loyalty program, including exclusive membership in our Advantage Club.