Being a part of a successful truck driving team can be a lucrative and enjoyable career as long as you have the right driving partner at your side. Some choose to team up with their spouse, brother, sister, mother, father or a long-time friend. Others find their team truck driver partner through their trucking company — like Schneider’s Team Matching Program — a truck driving school or a truck stop. No matter which route you choose, it is important that you both share a common goal and have a trusting relationship.
If you just recently met a potential partner, it is important to thoroughly interview and get to know your potential team partner’s personality and driving style to ensure capability.
Here are seven top questions to ask your partner before signing up as a team:
- How long do you want to stay on the road at any given time?
- What do you bring with you out on the road (cooler/TV/etc.)?
- What sort of tools do you have?
- Do you like to drive during the day or at night?
- What type of music do you like?
- Are you allergic to anything?
- What kind of driving experience do you have?
If you feel like he/she is a good match after you ask these questions, the next step is to meet up again to further get to know each other. We recommend bringing a close friend or family member to the meeting to get their input on the potential team truck driving partner as well.
What attribute is important to you when looking for a team driving partner?