Senior Diesel Technician
- Chicago, IL
- Third shift
- Job ID:
- Full time; Wednesday, Thursday, Friday plus every other weekend 6:00pm-5:30am
The Schneider maintenance team has an immediate need for an ambitious, safety minded Senior Diesel Technician to perform all tractor estimation, diagnosis, and corrections while following standard operating procedures (SOP's). As a member of our maintenance team, you will perform all major and minor repairs in a proficient manner including major wreck repair. You will be completing routine rebuilds and replacements, making the best value and safety decisions to continue to operate, repair or replace, and then perform technical repairs and/or replacements.
About the role:
- Diagnose and repair problems in the areas including all external component replacements and routine repairs, annual vehicle inspections (AVIs), Preventative Maintenance (PM), brake jobs, lighting repairs, cab repairs, king pin replacement, steering problem diagnosis / repair, drive train component diagnosis and replacement, suspension, and satellite/cellular system diagnosis and repair
- Perform starting and charging system repairs, routine cooling diagnostics and re-charge, routine electrical diagnostics and repairs including common fault codes
- Diagnose and repair problems in the areas of engine, after-treatment device (ATD), fuel system, component parts and various other vehicle items (i.e. satellite/cellular systems, collision avoidance systems, tachometer, speedometer, power steering, power divider, U-joint, transmission, autoshift transmission, differential, ECAS, A/C, starter, alternator, etc.) This includes major engine component rebuild/replacement (engine swing)
- Use diagnostic software or other methods to diagnose electrical and mechanical problems related to all systems including engine, drive train, cab, brakes, suspension, and electrical and communication systems. (Detroit Diagnostic 8, PSL, Service Pro, Parts Pro, Oscilloscope, etc)
As an associate you will enjoy:
- Competitive hourly wages: Up to $41.40 per hour starting pay for Trailer Technicians (based on experience).
- Additional $1.50 per hour on second and third shift, plus an additional $.65 per hour on weekends.
- Paid vacation, flex days and Holiday pay as well as a company matched 401K, fully funded Retirement and Profit Share plan
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription, Short Term Disability and Life Insurance, and wellness programs available to include smoking cessation & adoption benefits, flexible spending account
- Clean, safe working environment, with company paid training, safety shoe program and uniforms provided by the company
- Education reimbursement program plus individual development opportunities, active leadership involvement and more than 170 online personal development courses
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Associates Degree or equivalent work experience
- Technical degree, certificate, or diploma in engines, electronics, or related systems and two years experience
- Annual Vehicle Inspector Certified and Brake Inspector Certified (per Department of Transportation requirements)
- Tool mastery Digital multimeter, welders, cutting torch, frame / body straightening equipment, hand and power tools, and shop computer navigation
- Successfully demonstrated welding skills in non-standard situations and on varying materials
- Advanced skills with diagnostic software, Detroit S-60, DD15 engines, and DEF/aftertreatment repairs
Schneider is a premier provider of transportation and logistics services. Our legacy started in 1935 with one truck and a dream. Since then, Schneider has been safely delivering superior customer experiences and has grown to become a multi-billion dollar leader offering one of the broadest service portfolios in the industry. Schneider’s development and use of cutting edge technology is revolutionizing the industry. Always delivering, always ahead.
The Schneider Way:
- We treat our customers, associates, shareholders and suppliers with integrity, dignity and respect.
- We are a desirable employer due to our dedication to achieving mutually beneficial, lasting relationships.
- We are a responsible member of the community.
- Safety-first and always
- Integrity in every action
- Respect for all
- Excellence in all that we do
Rise to the challenge and become a part of the Schneider family. Be the difference with a leader in an industry that impacts the world. Apply today at http://www.schneiderjobs.com.
Schneider is an equal opportunity employer.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
Our history has taught us that treating everyone with dignity and respect is vital to our ongoing success. We embrace and seek out diversity that is inclusive of thought, race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, experience and background. We find that this diversity and openness ensures that all our associates have equal access to opportunities and resources to contribute fully to the organization’s success, and it fuels innovation, improves strategic thinking and cultivates leadership.